UPDATE: Midnight Oil have announced extra shows in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Extra tickets have been released for the Sunshine Coast show and Wollongong has had a venue change. A handful of tickets are still available in some cities – all info here.
There’s an absolutely stacked amount of information you need to know about the return of legendary Aussie rock band Midnight Oil. So we’re displaying it in dot point form for ultimate absorption. And repeat.
– Midnight Oil, the incendiary post-punk band from Sydney’s northern beaches, have announced their first World Tour in over two decades.
– The 6-month “The Great Circle 2017” World Tour will launch in mid-April with an intimate local pub gig in Sydney (details tba, there may be even more than one) and end in Sydney’s Domain.
– The Australian leg will involve 18 homecoming concerts throughout October and November, 2017.
– Kicking-off in Alice Springs and Darwin before starting to circle the country with a show in the rainforest near Cairns.
– Over the following five weeks the tour will loop clockwise around the country in mainly outdoor venues including Hope Estate in the Hunter Valley, Victoria’s Hanging Rock and Melbourne’s Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Brisbane’s Riverstage and the Village Green beside Adelaide Oval before “The Great Circle” finally comes to a close with a final show in Sydney on November 11 at that traditional home of Australian political activism, The Domain.
– These will be Midnight Oil’s only shows in the last 15 years apart from two stadium benefit concerts (and their related small warmup gigs); “Waveaid” at the Sydney Cricket Ground (2005) and “Sound Relief” at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (2009).
– The amount of special guests at these shows make it a festival contender.
– The line-up of Aussie legends include John Butler Trio, AB Original, Adalita, Apakatjah, Birds Of Tokyo, David Bridie, Ash Grunwald, Irrunytju Band, Jack Ladder, Jedediah, The Jezebels, The Living End, Abbe May, Something For Kate, Spiderbait, Dan Sultan, Urthboy, and Frank Yamma.
– The announcement went down at a unique press conference held on the Sydney Harbour this morning. The band also dropped word of recording new material.
– In addition, Midnight Oil will also release a remastered CD box set called “The Full Tank” featuring all of their existing albums and EP’s plus a mammoth new 4 CD/8 DVD trove called “The Overflow Tank” which will include over 14 hours of previously unreleased and rare material.
– Both of these box sets will be housed in replica miniature water tanks like the one featured onstage at so many ‘Oils’ gigs.
– The band also unveiled their first ever complete Vinyl collection which will feature 11 remastered LP’s and two 12” EP’s all cut at Abbey Rd Studios in London.
– As Aussie music’s most fierce activists, committed humanists and relentless environmentalists, it’s now more than ever during “the temper of times”, that we need Midnight Oil.
– The anthems are legendary.
– These shows will be a call to action.